Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sleeping Miracle

Sleep is an awesome thing, and I’m not good at it. I’ve spent many hours laying pointlessly awake in my bed wondering when the miracle of sleep would happen for me. Of course, it happens often enough, but not as easily as I wish.

If you think about it, sleep really is somewhat miraculous. I have no idea what happens or how it happens. One minute I’m awake, and the next minute I’m awake eight hours later. Time flies by when you are sleeping and you really have no control. It just happens. And then, it just ends. Somehow you miraculously float into a temporary oblivion. It’s ridiculous.

Now, I’m sure there is an answer on Wikipedia or WebMD, but I’ve never looked it up. I’m content just loving the mystery of sleep.

But, I hate not being able to sleep. Sleepless nights are some of the worst things I deal with on a regular basis. Nowadays, I can literally feel stress coarse through my body when I realize that I’ve been awake for two hours, and that I won’t be able to get six hours of sleep before the morning wakeup.

Some people can sleep so easily though. My roommate, Heinz, can sleep easier than anybody I know. He falls asleep on most car trips. He often dozes off after reading only two pages of a book! He goes to sleep quickly at night. I’m envious.

Tonight, I can’t sleep. Heinz is still awake, but when he goes to bed, he’ll be sleeping in a matter of minutes. When I’m done typing, I’ll saunter back to my room and lie there wondering when the miracle will seize me.

3 comments:

  1. I have the cure for your sleep problems....I will send (or bring) one of my textbooks for school. Puts me to sleep...should work for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. sleep is like any other skill- it takes practice. try taking an Organic Chemistry class- thats how I became such an expert.

    ReplyDelete