Sunday, May 23, 2010

Almost Home

Next Wednesday, my driver and I will load up into my Humvee and join a convoy that will take us home. Finally.

It has been a long month for me. I came out here as the new guy and being the new guy is never easy. I’ve embraced a good deal of social awkwardness navigating through cliques and sitting down at the cafeteria table with complete strangers. It’s been fun at times, but mostly it has felt like middle school.

Was middle school ever fun?

Work has been exciting though. While I still have a lot to learn, I’m confident that I will enjoy my job. It will definitely be a challenge, but I’m excited to lead and train these Soldiers. I’ve prepared a long time for this opportunity and it is finally here. I will do my best.

When I do finally get home, I have to try to fulfill a promise I made myself. A few weeks ago, I was running in this park near my place and I stumbled across a local tennis club. The moment I saw it, I decided that I would try to join. I figure that you can easily make friends (and enemies) by playing sports. I’d take the enemies if they came with some friends.

And, of course, the travel bug has infected me and I’m ready to jump on a train to anywhere. Perhaps Austria for the Memorial Day weekend? Or Berlin?

Either way, I am almost home.

2 comments: