Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A German Key

The German word for “the key” is der Schlüssel. You may think you can say it, but I’m pretty sure you can’t.

I’ve spent a small, yet considerably ridiculous amount of time in my life simply attempting the correct pronunciation. One afternoon at church, I literally sat a table with my German friends and spent fifteen solid minutes looking like an idiot. For the life of me, I cannot say der Schlüssel.

Anyways, this past Saturday I was doing some cleaning in my basement storage. But, the moment I shut my apartment door to head downstairs, I realized my plans had changed.

I had locked myself out.

I was wearing slippers and had my phone; I did not have meine Schlüssel. Resources were limited, but I felt hopeful I could escape this dilemma with my dignity intact.

I was wrong.

I brainstormed some commando-Rambo options, but settled for calling my landlord who doesn’t speak English. After calling several times with no answer, I found the courage to leave a voicemail in German. It wasn’t pretty because I only know about 50 words in German and my confidence in saying one important one, der Schlüssel, is pretty abysmal. I stuttered, said about nine variations of der Schlüssel, hung up, and hoped for the best.

An hour later, nothing had happened and I was getting hungry and needed to pee. It was time for Mission: Be A Fool. I heard my neighbor shuffling about and intercepted him on his walk to the car.

Hand gestures ensued and I followed him to his apartment like a depressed dog thinking, ‘WHY CAN’T I SPEAK THIS LANGUAGE?!’ He tried calling my landlord to explain the situation, but got the voicemail too. Running out of options and bladder space, I began miming my desire to find a ladder and climb the 30 feet to my balcony.

The neighbor shot a confused glance, and so I mimed with even more gusto. A few minutes later I was climbing up the side of my apartment complex with a few of my neighbors standing on their balconies to investigate. They shouted encouragement, or questions, or curses (I couldn’t tell), and I smiled and tried in vain to say, "I don’t have der freaking Schlüssel.”

I hopped over my railing, raised my hands and exclaimed loudly, in English, “VICTORY!”

I was back in my apartment, key/Schlüssel firmly in hand, and ready to take on another day in Germany.

5 comments:

  1. What a great story. It could have only been improved if you had been locked out of your apartment in your boxers. But the "schlussel" to your success was determination to get back in your apartment...or it was determination to pee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky to have my shorts on and I was wearing a trusty Wake Forest tshirt. I'm pretty sure the magical Deacs saved me from further humility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you want to FREAKIN double check?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story to tell, Cameron :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tim! I'm gonna figure out this language sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete