Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bikes and the Elderly

There is nothing strange about seeing a little old lady walk down the sidewalk. It happens. It’s normal.

But there is something strange about seeing an 83 year old lady ride a bike down the middle of the street. At least it is strange for me.

I remember driving home during one of my first weeks here and laughing out loud as I watched this sweet looking lady with typical “grandmother grey” hair and big glasses ride her bike down the street.

She was just pedaling along with a cabbage and a cantaloupe in her handlebar basket.

Here in Germany, it happens. It’s normal.

And, I love it.

I recently got on my bike for the first time in years and rode around my town. It was sublime. I even giggled once or twice like a seven year old boy as the wind streaked through my hair and I coasted at high speeds down a hill.

I now try to ride my bike as much as possible. I ride to the local doner kebab stand. I ride for exercise. I ride to enjoy a beautiful afternoon. I’m probably going to start riding to work once or twice a week too.

Here in Bavarian Germany, there is a network of biking and walking trails that essentially connects every town. You can easily drink a cappuccino in one town, ride to the next town and eat a schnitzel, and then ride to another town for a beer and a pretzel.

In fact, I did that exact thing today. It’s a good life.

And while I was riding, I came across a few more old ladies on their bikes. It still is funny to me and I chuckled to myself yet again. But next time, I’m secretly hoping that I find myself pedaling beside a pretty girl my own age.

Maybe we’ll both be chuckling then.

3 comments:

  1. You might be surprised to learn that your Aunt Carol biked 10 miles from Matthews to her school in Charlotte yesterday.

    Also had THE BEST chicken burrito Thursday at Chipotle. Thinking of you in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your whimsical musings are pure delight! Miss you, love you and praying for you Cam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you giggle like a seven year old girl all the time, don't worry bout it

    ReplyDelete